6.20.2015

James Salter

James Salter died yesterday; he was 90 years old. Salter was and continues to be one of my favorite writers. I’ve written about him often. Have a look: http://marksinthemargin.blogspot.it/search/label/James%20Salter

Many other have as well. Here is a profile from the New Yorker: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/04/15/the-last-book . And an interview in the Paris Review: http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/1930/the-art-of-fiction-no-133-james-salter .

While I will miss another of his novels or short stores, there’s always the great pleasure of rereading them again.

4 comments:

Stefanie said...

I know he was one of your favorites. I didn't realize he was 90. For some reason I thought he was in his 60s. It's hard when a favorite author dies.

Richard Katzev said...

Hi Stefanie;

Yes, one of my favorites, Solo Faces was my best book of a couple of years ago. He looks much younger, acts much younger, worked out every day. You are right, it's hard when you lose a favorite writer.

Ciao from Italy

Linda said...

So good to see new posts in Marks in the Margin! For some reason I am not getting the automatic e-mails for new posts, but no matter - I will check on my own, moved MitM to 1st place on my favorites bar.

I had not read Salter until I read your posts. I recently finished The Hunters, his novel about Korean War fighter pilots - very good, very strong sense of being in the cockpit with Cleve Connell, what it felt like, the state of mind of a man in that situation. I read that Salter actually was a fighter pilot in that war.

Have you read this one? I will put Solo Faces on my list.



Richard Katzev said...

No, I've not read The Hunters, although maybe I did a very long time ago. I will check my bookshelf; it it's there I'll read it. If not, I'll order a copy.

Meanwhile I try to figure out why you are not getting a notice about a new blog. Maybe Blogger doesn't have that feature. If it does, I'll let you know.

I don't expect to post a new blog very often now, maybe one a week, so don't expect more than that. I'd move MIM to last place on your favorites bar.